CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Home

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Celebrating Mother's Day at Schofield Barracks


Mahalo to the Endres' family for inviting us to their new place in Schofield Barracks on Mother's Day!

Schofield Barracks occupies some 17,725 acres on Central Oʻahu. The base was established in 1908 to provide mobile defense of Pearl Harbor and the entire island. It has been the home of the 25th Infantry Division, known as the Tropic Lightning Division, since 1941 as well as the Command Headquarters for United States Army Hawaii (USARHAW). Schofield Barracks is also home to the 8th Theater Sustainment Command.


We're blessed to have met two other families. There are about 11 children running around. A few older ones remember Sr Linh at the Pauline Bookfair at St Michael School a couple of months ago. As soon as we sat down, Savannah, a fifth grader, approaches each of us for an "interview." She made a list of questions the evening before we came. She was very delightful to talk to. Sr Laura and I are very impressed with how the parents nurture, love and care for their children. We can see that for these families, to nurture their faith is important. Traditionally, they gather together for dinner and "family" Rosary on Sunday evening. That's exactly what we did this evening. We pray the Rosary before we depart!
Riz and Brad will be deployed soon and Ryan is already oversea. Let us continue to pray for these families and those around the world. In a special way on Mother's Day, let us pray for all mothers.


"I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life."- Abraham Lincoln

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."- Henry Ward Beecher

"It is not the size of our actions but the amount of love and care that is put into them that matters.
Show kindness through your face, your eyes, your smile and through the warmth of your greetings. You must bear a cheerful smile. Don't only give your care, but give your heart as well." -Mother Teresa of Calcutta

"My mother never gave up on me. I messed up in school so much they were sending me home, but my mother sent me right back."- Denzel Washington


Here is an excerpt from the book entitles: Mom to Mom: Day to Day by Danielle Bean. You can purchase the book at our Pauline Books & Media near you.

"Dear Lord, I am so many things: a wife, a mother, a daughter, a sister, a friend, a neighbor, an employee, and a volunteer. Despite my many labels, help me to remember that I am first and formost a child of God. Above all else, keep me focused on the unique relationship I have with you. Even when the baby throws up in the car. Even when the dog digs up the neighbor's prize-winning geraniums. Even when a crayon gets run through the dryer. And especially when I am just weary of it all and looking for a break. Help me to see that I will find the "break" I need in you. Turn my heart and mind toward you often throughout my busy day. Remind me that my cheerful acceptance of little sacrifices and distractions can add up to a priceless gift of love, if only I will give them to you. Amen."

Bookmark and Share

0 comments: