CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Home

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Robert Louis Stevenson's Museum in Vailima,Samoa!















On my second trip to Samoa, I with some sisters are able to visit Robert Louis Stevenson's Museum in Vailima.

Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1894), Scottish poet, essayist, and author wrote Treasure Island (1883) and his study of split-personality, good versus evil in Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1886).
Stevenson immersed himself in the local culture and politics of his new home, and continued his prodigious output of novels and letters. The Samoans bestowed the name "Tusitala" or "Teller of Tales" on him. Stevenson purchased four hundred acres that would be the setting for his mansion "Vailima" (Five Rivers) in the village of same name. Robert Louis Stevenson died of a stroke on 3 December 1894. The following words are inscribed on his tomb at Mount Vaea:

"Under the wide and starry sky,
Dig the grave and let me lie.
Glad did I live and gladly die,
And I laid me down with a will.
This be the verse you grave for me,
Here he lies where he longed to be.
Home is the sailor home from the sea,
And the hunter home from the hill

0 comments: